Sunday, August 12, 2007

APAT - World Cup Of Amateur Poker

The World Cup Of Amateur Poker (WCOAP) is a series of five online tournaments, held between 04/08 - 12/08, that formed the climax to season one of the APAT Online Series.

Due to holiday commitments (in that grey and wet land where men wear skirts!), I was unable to play in the first three games... Rich hopes to make the final tourney, he doesn't have a proper computer (something to do with poker sites and raincoats not being compatible??) and has to borrow his dad's... And so it was that the responsibility of continuing to raise the profile of The Witney (inc. Carterton) Mob was left in the capable hands of Paul, who, remarkably, allowed the first event (7 Card Stud) to go un-contested... this wasn't a 'stick chucking' night so not sure how this happened?

Paul redeemed himself with final table appearances in events 2 & 3... 5th place in the Omaha and 8th in the Razz - very well done. These two results saw him leapfrog me in the APAT rankings, now with 21 points to my 18 - unfortunately Rich is languishing on 1 point, gained in the live event in Newcastle.

It was Paul's sudden rush of points that 'forced' me into entering event 4, my worst nightmare, the Heads-Up tournament... Aaaaaarrgh!!! Now here's the thing... You should only ever have to play heads-up poker at the end of a proper tournament, when you are already well into the money, the blinds are huge and you can push with any hand better than Q7o. It's that simple... end of!! I take my hat off to the poor soul who endured 5 consecutive heads-up matches over a period of 5 1/2 hours to take this one down... me, I lasted 13 mins!! Paul was again absent, I find it hard to believe that he found something better to do on a Saturday night? Watching paint dry probably!

(To be continued following tonight's main event, the WCOAP $55 NLHE)

Just a quick update: Neither Paul or Myself made any impression on the WCOAP Main Event and Rich was feeling a bit under the weather and didn't get to play.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hectic week i'm afraid...Missed the stud because me and Rich were busy getting battered by Tim at the Pigeons £15 freezeout...Missed the heads up because my best mate got married yesterday, tried to get out of it but couldn't!