Monday, November 12, 2007

In search of Atlantis (Session 1)...

I've noticed a couple of threads on the blondepoker forum in relation to 'Steps' Sit & Go tournaments, on PokerStars, to win seats at big buy-in live events i.e. EPT PokerStars Caribbean Adventure and Asia Pacific Poker Tour (APPT) Sydney. Now, I've never been a big fan of the 'Steps' concept, my dislike was based on the cash steps that started on Party Poker sometime ago. I didn't like the fact that there was no way to bail out if you find yourself out of your depth... you either win the end prize or you lose all the money [and time] that you have invested.

Some of what I've read recently (penned by people who I believe to be good players and who know what they are talking about - not you Ironside!), has prompted me to look again and I have decided to 'invest' £100 and try to win a seat at the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure, to be held in January, at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas.


The buy-in for Step 1 is $7.50 (this is where I am going to start), Step 2 is $27 and I think Step 3 is about $80. I have always been comfortable playing $20 - $25 SnGs so I would expect to get to Step 3 with out too much trouble, but from there on in I am playing at stakes far higher than I have ever played before (for online SnGs), hopefully the majority of my opponents will be small stakes players who have also come up through the steps, but I know that a lot of people (better players and/or bigger bankrolls) will be buying in directly at the higher levels and the standard of play is bound to raise considerably as you near your goal at the end of Step 6.

The $7.50 Step 1 tournaments pay as follows -
1st Ticket for Step 2 ($27)
2nd Ticket for Step 2 ($27)
3rd Ticket for Step 1 ($7.50)
4th $1.50
5th - 9th Nowt!

So, the story so far is...

Sun 11/11/07
- deposit £100 ($209) in PokerStars
- $7.50 Step 1 SnG - 1st Won Ticket for Step 2 ($27 SnG)
- $7.50 Step 1 SnG - 1st Won Ticket for Step 2 ($27 SnG)

- Balance $194 plus 2 x Step 2 Tickets

Off to a good start... I'll tackle the first Step 2s this evening. I'd better get down to Boots and see if they've got any suncream left!! :-)

No comments: