Friday, July 30, 2010

SIGS Matchplay Semi-Final...

It was a game of two and a bit halves, at Burford Golf Club, playing against 'The Brief'.

I got off to an awful start, quickly going 3 down after 3 holes, before steadying the ship with a half at the 4th and a win at the 5th. I pulled one more back amongst a run of halved holes, to finish the front nine just 1 down.

-1, -2, -3, -3, -2, -2, -2, -1, -1

We also halved 10 and 11, I then went on a bit of heater, winning 4 in a row. Stood on the 16th tee I was 3 up with 3 to play and feeling confident... Doh! Big mistake!

-1, -1, AS, +1, +2, +3, +2, +1, AS

And so, back to the 1st tee for 'sudden death' extra holes. The end came, rather un-ceremoniously, at the 130 yd, par 3, second. My opponent scuffed his tee shot under a tree, left his second shot under there and then put his third into a greenside bunker... Meanwhile I had chipped my second shot onto the green, but a good twenty feet from the flag... he then hit his 4th shot out of the bunker, clear over the green and into a hedge... hole conceded and I am now into my first ever matchplay final.

I'm not sure if the other semi has been played yet... it is between 'The Stepfather' and 'The Fireman's Father', both of whom play of 28, so I will be in the unusual position of having to give 4 shots to my opponent.

No comments: