Sunday, May 25, 2008

There it was... gone!

Lesson learned on the trip... A week in Vegas just isn't quite long enough... two weeks may well be too long, but I think 10 days is about right.

Apologies to my reader for not updating from Vegas as promised, I took my laptop but there were problems with the hotel wi-fi and I was unable to get an internet connection. Fortunately I did keep 'a few' notes, however there are some gaps... my memory really isn't what it used to be!! ;-(

So, we'll start at the beginning... other than a two hour delay to the flight, the journey there was un-eventful, the pre-booked stretch limo was waiting at the airport and we were soon at the hotel. We decide not to waste any time and after a quick shower, head over to the Rio to register for a 6pm $125 tournament... only to find they don't have a 6pm tourney. Instead we play a bit of 1/3 NL cash, I quickly took my $300 buy-in upto around $850 and it did cross my mind to quit and book an early profit, however I decide to continue... big mistake!! Soon after I get sucked into a hand and find myself with top pair (okay it was only 7s), and a huge open-ended straight and flush draw... miss the lot and lose a $600 pot to an over-pair. By the time Rich (+$20'ish) and I (-$100'ish) cashed out, Paul had already left and gone back to the hotel (with a bit over $200 profit I believe). Me and Rich feel we still have a bit more poker in us and, since we are only there for 7 days, want to make the most of every day so we head off to Ceasar's Palace for their 11pm $150 NLH tournament. Rich made his exit on the last hand before the first break, while I persevered and made it the last two tables (of 5 I think), before going out in 13th or 14th place. So at about 3am we decide that it's time to call it a day... it had been a 30 hour day after all.

Up, showered and having breakfast at about 8.30 Saturday morning, I recieve a text from Paul; he's entered in the 9.00am re-buy at the Rio. Assuming (wrongly) that he had also texted Rich, I decide to go over and play also. The original plan had been to play the 10.00am $22 mixed FL & NL tournament at the Gold Coast as a bit of fun to start the day. I fail to make any impression on the Rio tournament, other than being the only person to have multiple re-buys!! Paul, however, went on to finish 2nd for $396. We had all agreed that we would swop 15% (after deducting buy-in) of each other whenever we played the same tournament, so at least I got $51 back reducing the cost of my re-buy frenzy to a less embarrassing figure. Rich meanwhile had played the 10.00am at the GC and his personal challenge had begun... to make it through the first hour and into the NL stage of this tourney. I'm not too sure how we spent the rest of the afternoon, may have been a bit of a cash session at the Venetian (?), anyway... Saturday evening we definitely all played the 8.00pm $150 NLH freezeout at Binions. I took a share of an even 6-way chop, for $650, a satisfactory end to the day. Paul & Rich suffered fairly early exits and took the opputunity to explore Freemont Street, I would suggest checking their respective blogs for more detail!

.
.
FURTHER DETAILS TO FOLLOW (a lot on my plate at the moment!)
.
.

To give some idea of the kind of last night we had, check out this pic of Rich, taken while waiting at LV airport...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to go to Vegas but I never seem to get around to it!Did you book a package or did you sort digs out when you arrived in Sin City?

Alan said...

No and no... it was all booked before going, but not as a package. Flights booked direct with Virgin Atlantic and hotel booked direct through hotel website. If you are on budget and want to go whils WSOP is on then the Gold Coast is excellent value, just across the street from the Rio.