Thursday, February 18, 2010

Proof If Proof Were Needed...

That if you sit a million monkeys at a million keyboards, eventually one of them will hit the correct combination of [FOLD], [CALL] and [RAISE] buttons to win a big online donkament.


It's a job to know what to say about it really, if I'm honest I don't really remember too much detail. There was a pivotal hand after about 90 mins, the blinds were 200/400. I had managed to get to a little under 20k chips quite early, then the guy to my right, who had nicked my BB a few times already, open raised from the SB, I moved in with the monster A4o thinking he can't call for all his chips (10k) without a real big hand... wrong! He snap called with 88. Flop came JJJ, Turn J... that'll do nicely... and just to rub salt in his wounds there was an 8 on the river. Cruel, so cruel. That put me up to 29k and I never really looked back, I think I only once dropped below average chips and then only for a few hands.

Once I had a big stack, the strategy was basically just all-out aggression. If you'e going to beat a field of 4500 pre-pubescent Scandinavian aggro-monkeys, it's no good just sitting back and waiting for the chips to come to you... they won't. Let them know that if they 3bet your raise, their next decision will be, "Do I really want to call that 4bet shove, for all my chips?"

Hark at me... talking like I know what I'm on about!

So, yes, anyway, that's about all I want to say about that... yesterday's news, tomorrow's chip wrapper. (Well, next Thursday's chip wrapper to be more precise... but more about that later.)

Now then, what other news I have neglected to pass on over the last couple of weeks?

You remember the charity swear-box challenge thing I set myself - http://riorodent.blogspot.com/2010/01/january-charity-prop-bet-of-sorts.html - well I took the box upto the Pigeons game the week before last. At the grand opening ceremony it was found to contain six of your English pound coins... Less than £20, so I doubled it as promised and Joy put it into the 'Help The Heroes' jar I believe.

That'll have to do, I've spent long enough trying to string coherent sentences together... it's not like anybody reads it anyway! Until the next time, mon braves.

2 comments:

Mair said...

Congratulations Alan a brilliant result vwd indeed!

Mair

Anonymous said...

Just heard the news today, very well done mate! Dont give it back...well maybe a little :) All the best, enjoy it. Kez