Monday, June 23, 2008

That reminds me...

Hmmm, I'm having second thoughts about Virgin Airmiles... We have been collecting them by playing on Virgin Poker and also using a Virgin Amex Card. This time next year I should have about 50,000.

Now 50k Virgin airmiles is enough for a return flight to Vegas... that's good. And so long as you're flexible in your travel plans you will probably be able to get a free flight sometime close to when you really want to go.

But how about this then... on my return from Vegas in May, I enquired at the check-in about getting a Premium Economy upgrade using airmiles....

Me: "I would like to upgrade to Premium Economy using some of my airmiles."
Check-In dude: "Yes Sir, let me just check which fare you have."
Tap, tap, tap on keyboard...
Check-In dude: "Sorry Sir, you have an 'x' class ticket, this is non-upgradeable, you need a 'y' or better ticket."
Me: "I just booked online, I put in my dates, it gave me a price, I paid it... no one askes if you want 'x' or 'y' or whatever."
Check-In dude: "No, you have to request a flexible ticket."
Check-In dudess: (who has also been tapping a keyboard) "We do have one PE seat left, if you would like to pay £289 we can upgrade you."
Me: (looking at Check-In dude) "But, but you just told me my ticket was non-upgradeable??"
Check-In dude: "That's right Sir, not with airmiles... however, you can pay for an upgrade."
Me: (whilst thinking, "GFY!!") "It's OK, I'll sit with the poor people, thankyou for your time... have a nice day now."

Now, on my return home I decide to see how much I can save by booking an upgradeable ticket... here is an example (current prices on VA website) -

14 - 22 Oct 2008
Economy Lowest: £591.60 + 2000 airmiles 'x' class (£659 cash only)
Econony Flexible: £1679.60 'y' class (not available as 'miles + money')
PE Lowest: £1358.60 'x' class

So if I want to be able to upgrade on the return leg, I need a flexible ('y' class) ticket... which will cost over £1000 more than the cheapest fare plus 10,000 airmiles... or for £300 less you can just book and go bothways PE!!!

Bargain!!!

Thanks Mr Woolly Jumper... my Gran always used to say, "Never trust men with beards." I'm beginning to believe she wasn't far wrong!

No comments: