Tuesday, September 16, 2008

All quiet of the Poker front...

Not much to report poker-wise, I've been playing a bit of cash (currently 25c/50c on ipoker) first thing in the morning, 2 or 3 tables for just 60-90 mins. If I get ahead by more than a buy-in then I may not even play that long... a few days ago I was up $75 after 21 mins and called it a day! If I go down by two buy-ins then I stop and go and find a cat to kick (unfortunately this has happened once this month)... no more sitting for hours trying to get it back and just losing more!!

I don't suppose I'll get rich playing this way (hopefully I won't go broke either!), but since I only really need an avergae of about £10/day from poker, then this should keep the wolf from door. Now that 'thegame' has booked his 'Return to Eden', I suspect that as December approaches I may regret not being a little more ambitious in trying to build my bankroll, so that it would support a trip to the land of apples and serpents, aka Las Vegas.

Although I'm playing the cash on ipoker, I have vowed [again] to never, ever, play another tournament on there!!! Now I know you really only remember the times people suck out against you, but it really does seem like there is a bias toward the underdog in all-in pre-flop situations on ipoker.

In cash games, getting all-in PF is much rarer and usually against SSSs (Short-Stack Shithouses)... toward the business end of a tournament all-in PF situations are unavoidable and every one seems to be a coin-flip. Even with pair vs pair, which should be around 4/1 in favour of the over-pair, the under-pair seem to win 50% of the time and if it's not some unlikely 4-flush or 4-straight on the board then it will be the equally unlikely 2-outer on the river!! >:(

Which brings me nicely onto the APAT WCOAP Online series last week... Little Dick finally picked up his first APAT meadal, a silver, with a superb 2nd place in the 7-card Stud event. I only played the 6-max NLHE event, I ran really well, being chip leader (or there abouts) for a large part of the tournament. I finally went out (whilst not CL!!) in 16th place... I had KK in the SB, it is folded to the Button (MickeyP, for those that know him), who pushes all-in with a a couple of thousand chips more than me. It's a simple call decision for me, the BB folds, and cards are revealed... Mickey has 88!! Now I'm not sure about the reasoning behind this play, but obviously I'm pleased it wasn't Aces - or am I? (See previous paragraph) Of course, the 8 comes on the river and that's it for me.

Earlier that evening I had played two $20 SnGs... out in 1st hand in one of them with KK V AA, all-in on an AKx flop; out 8th in the other with KK v 88, the 8s hit a 4-card straight!!


It is difficult to be a king, especially a medieval king.

I WILL NEVER, EVER, PLAY ANOTHER TOURNAMENT ON IPOKER!!



Golf progress update to follow....

No comments: