Wednesday, September 17, 2008

And A Bit Of Golf News Ahead Of The Ryder Cup...

I've had three more goes at it so far this month and also a few visits to the driving range. I'm getting a bit more consistent (direction-wise) with the irons, upto 5 or 6 iron, the 3 and 4 iron can be a bit more unpredictable! As for distance, well that still needs some work, the 9 - 5 all seem to land within about 20 yds of each other. And when it comes to the Driver, 3-Wood and the supposedly 'easy to hit' 21deg Hybrid... well, lets just say, "Work in progress!!"

First outing was a return to Faringdon, shot the same score as last time - 89. Not brilliant but consistent and if I could just putt a bit better the score would have been much lower... far too many 3-putts and 2-putts from short distance.


Last Friday I became a little more adventurous and ventured to Hinksey Heights Golf Club, in Oxford, and played once around their 9-hole Spires Course. Now as golf courses go it's mot much to look at, essentially tees and greens in a field - no bunkers and no water. However, for the beginner who sprays the ball around a bit, for just £8 for 9-holes, I think it is a good introduction to playing longer holes. Again my putting really let me down - it's just soooo much easier on the living room carpet! - but I was encouraged by hitting a couple nice driver shots, not overly long, in the region of 200yds, but straight and in the direction I was aiming!


On Monday I returned to Faringdon and on the front nine hit my best score so far (37), but then a bit of fatigue set in and it was back to a familiar routine on the back nine, shooting 45, but still a new PB of 82 so I'm quite pleased with that.


So still plenty to work on... most importantly fitness and putting, but I'm still enjoying the learning process and I think I've already got my moneys-worth out of my £75 set of golf bats. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi,

Just found this article. Do you still play golf? I am a beginner up at Hinksey Heights. Let me know if you fancied a round some time on the Spires, or the main course.

Cheers.
Simon