Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Day 2 - First taste of the WSOP...

Walked across to the Rio - about 5 mins, through the Gold Coast multi storey car park, across Valley View Rd and part of the Rio car park - then about 10 mins walk through the Rio to the WSOP area.

Wow!!!!

A huge room, wall to wall poker tables... I had seen it on TV and had some idea what to expect but it still impressed the hell out of me.

First stop was the Ultimate Bet lounge and a chat with Annie Duke before she gave a very interesting talk, for about an hour, on PL vs NL Hold 'Em.

Then next door to Doyle's Room for a free coffee, where I bumped in to 'The Man' himself and Men Nguyen.

OK... enough name dropping!! You'll have forgive me but this is my first time here. :-)

Then a walk around the tournament room... a $2k PL Hold 'Em tournament had just started, lots more faces off of the TV on show (I won't bore you the full list!), a few Brits that I recognised where Neil Channing and Tony Bloom (on the same table) and Barny Boatman... the final table of the $10k PL Omaha was just starting, with 9 people I've never heard of.

Now the bad news... I thought I'd better play some poker...

- $125 single table satellite (1000 chips / 15 min clock), I sit through 2 1/2 levels without any thing like a decent hand... then QQ in the big blind (100)... folds to the button who raises to 400... SB folds... I push my 750 chips in... he turns over TT... T on the flop, no Q... out in 6th!

- $125 single table satellite... similar story... 50/100 blinds... I raise from mid position with AcKc... BB calls... flop JcTc6h... BB puts me all-in... I call, he shows QhJh... so I have 17 outs (I think), twice, and miss them all, twice! :-(

- $225 single table satellite... I'll keep this short... I get it all-in AQ vs AK, on an AQx flop... river K... say no more!

So that was yesterday's profit gone! Which, by the way, I won with a High Hand Jackpot - not good play!!!

$573 for a straight flush... and I nearly ballsed that up! I made the hand on the turn, my opponent bet $10, I raised to $20 and immediately realised that if he folded I would lose the jackpot... aaaaaaaghh!!! He thought for ages and eventually called... he checked the river and so did I.

Lucky to get away with that... but I had been up for over 24hrs and was a little bit tired!!

Nothing to report from last night... just a quiet dinner and early night, in preparation for todays WSOP Seniors Event... wish me luck!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In case it makes u feel any better. You would still have won the jackpot if he had folded - as you had already made the hand by the turn. (You would just need to show your hand face up to the dealer - not muck it!)