Friday, July 14, 2006

Day 4 - A slight change of plan...

My original intention for today was to play the lunchtime $330 tourney at the Wynn... However, as I left the Gold Coast buffet after breakfast I noticed that there was a tournament about to start in the Poker Room and for some reason I decided to enter it.

Not a big affair... just a $22 buy-in, 50 players and 5 places paid.

I'm not sure why I entered? I really didn't expect to go far with just 1000 chips, limit for the first hour (then no-limit), 20 min clock and blinds of 25/50, 50/100, 100/200 during the limit period and then 25(ante)/50/100, 50/100/200 and so on.

As it was I managed to scrape through the first hour remaining on appx 1000 chips and then carried on to the final table, always as the short stack... I eventually went out in 7th (ATs vs QQ).

It was quite an enjoyable 2 hrs, but unfortunately it caused to me miss the Wynn tournament.

So I thought I'd venture to The Strip anyway and have a look around...

First off, a taxi to the Bellagio - what a maze these places are!! - I find the poker room just as Ram Vaswani was walking out... the cheapest NL game there is 2/5 (too rich me), so after a brief look around the room I head off to try and find my way to the footbridges that cross both Las Vegas Blvd and Flamingo Rd... I eventually find them (look for signs to Via Bellagio Shops), passing Sammy Farha on a $100 min Blackjack table (oops, there I go, name dropping again!)...

After walking from Bellagio to Aladdin in 110 degs I was just about knackered!!! Played 1/2 NL for about 2 hours and lost $90. :-(

Then walked back up the Strip past Paris and Bally's... quick stop in Barbary Coast for a free beer and then back to Gold Coast on the free shuttle - Who's a cheapskate?? :-)

Showered and refreshed, downstairs for dinner... Monterey Room restaurant - Texas T-Bone Special - $9.95... A bowl of salad as a starter (entree it said on the menu??), followed by a 12oz T-Bone steak with onion rings, roast potatoes and baked beans, with an inclusive beer and all the cofee you can drink... value or what???

Finished the evening off with about 3 hrs in the poker room (1/2 NL) for a profit of $423. :-)

Very close to break even on the poker playing at the moment... the odd thing is I consider myself to be a better tournament player than cash game player, but then I haven't played a tournament with more than 1500 chips yet... so not a lot of time to 'play'.

As for tomorrow... I've considered 3 options for noon tourneys... $220 at Ceasars Palace, $540 at Wynn and what is currently the most likely, a $180 at the Venetian.

The Venetian's $180 comprises $125 buy-in (1500 chips), 1 x $50 re-buy/add-on (1500 chips) and $5 dealers bonus (1000 chips)... so 4k chips and a 30 min clock, seems a decent enough structure.

No comments: