Sunday, August 03, 2008

No beer Saturday and a winning session...


TODAY'S THOUGHT - Why is it called Alcoholics Anonymous when the first thing you do is stand up and say, 'My name is Bob, and I am an alcoholic'?

---+++---

Inspired by 'The Mob's' northern correspondent, I broke with a 25 year old tradition yesterday and didn't go for my usual 3-4 pints and a few games of pool at lunchtime. Indeed I shall be abstaining from alcohol consumption at least until the end of the month. This is part of the 'Get a bit fitter, you fat bastard' program that I am currently embarking upon.

It had always been my intention to try and get a bit more excersise when I stopped working and try and lose a bit of weight... but the decision to accompany Paul and Neal for a round of golf, a couple of weeks ago, made me realise that I need to step things up a bit, especially as I intend to give this golf mularkey a bit of a go!

Now this 'round' of golf was actually twice round the 9-hole, all par 3 course at Faringdon... and very pleasant it is too... but by about half-way round the second time I was knackered! When the game was arranged I had assumed it just a bit of mess about on a pitch 'n putt, where you borrow a 9-iron and a putter and chase a ball round a field. So when Paul asked if I had any clubs, well I was a little taken aback.

As it happens I had the notion to take up golf about 20 years ago (although nothing came of it) and aquired an old bag and a couple of clubs from various sources... which, since moving house 6 years ago, had been up in the roof of the garage, gathering dust and an assortment of spiders.

Well my first ever round of golf was a bit of a mixture, as should probably be expected I guess. Now I knew I wouldn't loose any balls by hitting them out of sight but I hadn't reckoned on two (make that 4 in two rounds) of the holes being over water... a good job I had also got a decent stock of 20 year old golf balls!! A total score of 111 on a par 54 course leaves plenty of room for improvement.



Don't tell Paul and Neal but I have now bought a set of clubs and will be having a few trips to the driving range before our next outong to Faringdon... remember what Phil Ivey did to Marc Goodwin and Ram Vaswani... watch this space!

And so on to poker... I played for about an hour yesterday afternoon, two tables of 50NL (25c/50c) and made a profit of $127, after going one buy-in down as usual!! Here's the updated graph, it doesn't look pretty, nor does that nasty red stain on the monthly summary. :-(


No comments: