Sunday, August 10, 2008

Oh dear... woe is me...



TODAY'S THOUGHT - Some days you will be the pigeon... other days, you just have to accept that you will be the statue.

---+++---

Oh dear, Friday afternoon I had one of those 'Rush of Blood' moments that I know 'thegame' will relate to! I had been playing for about 30 mins, on Party Poker, 2 tables of 50NL and a $22 SnG... $65 and $55 on the cash tables, around starting chips in the SnG. In one hand after the other I busted in the SnG, with KK v AA all-in PF; lost the $55 on one cash table, with TT v JJ all-in on a T5J flop; I then actually got in good with AK vs KQs on an AKx flop, matey's flush got there and I was down to $15 on that table!!

I carried on playing the cash tables for another few minutes but the two people I'd doubled up left - bastards! - and were replaced by SSSs (Short-Stack Shithouses)... for the first time in 4 months of cash play, I completey turned my back on all common sense and bankroll management and went looking for a 200NL seat!

There was no seat available, but I put my name on the list for a table where one guy only had about $20, I figured he wouldn't be around too long. I watched while I was waiting... it was two full orbits before shorty busted and I took my seat and bought in for $150. Now while I was watching there was one guy sat out the whole time, I am now sat on his right. I didn't get a hand to play for 1 1/2 orbits... matey still sat out.

So, it's my button... matey sits back in and posts both blinds out of position - this is usually a sign of a bad player! - the cards are dealt and I have AdKd. It is folded to matey in the CO, who raises to $6... now this could simply be a position raise; or it could be another trait of the bad player who posts out of turn, and that is deciding to defend his SB+BB investment, with any two cards; or he could actually have a hand!

Well this clown isn't stealing my button and I don't want to price in the blinds, so I ship the rest of it in... Blinds Fold - Fold, matey calls immediately... Shit! So, there we have it, this guy has been sitting out for at least four orbits of the table and first hand back he gets KK and manages to find someone who is steaming a little to get it all-in with... some people are just soooooo lucky!

On a brighter note... could it get any worse?? I have persevered on Party, albeit at 25NL for the moment, and in two sessions yesterday and one this morning I have recovered about $150 of Friday's losses. Hopefully it was a lesson learned that I'll not be repeating.

Also I have been asked to take on the role of 'Non-Playing Captain' and selector of the England team for the upcoming European Amateur Poker Team Championships. The event is being organised by APAT and will take place at the Grosvenor Brighton on Nov 1st & 2nd.

No comments: