Saturday, June 09, 2007

$22 Deep Stack Tourney - Right time to gamble?

Yesterday I had my 3rd go of the week at the $22 deep stack tourney on PokerStars. In the first two attempts I never really got going (in fact I went out 2nd hand with AA on Thu!!), but this time I managed to get deep in it.

I had cruised into the money, staying comfortably above the average chip count, but then it started getting harder and by the time the 2nd bubble came round (19 left) I was down to about 15th position with about 55k (out of appx 1.25 million chips in play, blinds 1k/2k with 100 ante). The short stack was disconnected and soon to be blinded out and I made a concious decision that once into the next pay bracket I would get ultra-aggressive and gamble to get a chips stack to be able to make a challenge for the 1st place prize of $1292.

With shortie gone and down to 18 players I get pocket 8s in the BB... as it's folding around I decide to move all-in if the cut-off raises (as he had a habit of doing!)... They fold right around and the cut-off predictably makes it 6000 to go (so far so good)... the button folds and then a fly in the ointment - the the SB, who had just moved to the table, moves all-in for appx 75k... damn!! After a few seconds thought I manage to convince myself that he was making a re-steal move with some sort of raggy ace and as I'm sure the OR is going to fold, I decide to call and take my chances in a coin flip!

Unfortunately, SB's re-steal was with pocket Kings - which somehow managed to hold-up!!

So, after a little over 6 hours I finish in 18th place for $55 - I won't give up the day job just yet.

I spent the next hour or so telling myself it was a dumb call and thinking about the difference between $55 and $1292... but now I'm not so sure??

Time to get limbered up ready for the APAT European Open...

No comments: