Saturday, June 23, 2007

Day 3 - A little better...

Well, I finally made it Downtown, as intended, to play the Binions Poker Classic $100 NLHE event. The only slight hiccup was that, for some unknown reason, I thought it started at 12:00 noon when in fact it started at 2:00 pm... damn, I could have had another hour in bed. So with an extra 2 hours to kill I take an empty seat in a $1/$2 NL cash game. About 90 mins later I cash-out for $104 profit... that's the tourney buy-in covered.

The final total entries in the tourney (inc. alternates) was 574, with 54 being paid and $11k for the winner ... I lasted a little over 5 hours and finished somewhere between 110th and 120th. Again, I was quite happy with my play. It all went wrong when I run AJs into the short(ish) stack's pocket Aces, that knocked me down to about 3k chips and with it costing 2.8k per round in blinds and antes (100/600/1200) the end was obviously nigh!!

The Poker Hall of Fame, at Binions.

It was then time for a wander up and down Freemont Street... Wow, what a contrast to the strip! Not the out and out oppulence of the newer strip properties but vibrant and full of life in the evenings. If I have another trip over here I may split my stay between Downtown and the strip. I hung around for the first 'Freemont Street Experience' lightshow at 8:30 pm... the scale of the thing was impressive but the content very dissapointing.

Then a taxi back to the Rio to register for today's $1500 NLHE WSOP event - I'll be starting at table 83, seat 9... hopefully I'll survive long enough to be moved to another table. :-) Registration sorted, I was too tired to wander around star-gazing so strolled back the the Gold Coast for an early night... In bed just after 10: pm!! Then woke up at 5:00 am and get back of to sleep... oh well, I tried to get a real good night's sleep.

I'll update again tonight... hopefully to let you know how many chips I'm taking into Day 2!! :-)

3 comments:

Rich said...

Good luck Alan. One step at a time. Just aim to be chip leader after day 1. Easy.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Al. I'm coming with you next year!

Anonymous said...

Ruffty by the way!