Monday, June 25, 2007

Day 5 - Not much to report...

First, a little bit more from Saturday... The most memorable hand of the day came around 8:30pm... I'm in the cut-off and it's folded to Matey on my right, who raises...I re-raise with KcKs, everyone else folds and Matey calls and then 'checks dark'... the flop was Q52 with two hearts (not the Q)... Matey immediately calls 'All-In', and is then reminded that he had already checked dark. Well, I have to say I didn't really know what to make of this! Was it intentional or had he just got excited at having flopped a monster?? I had Matey covered, about 3:2... if I call and win I have a big stack, if I lose I am in deep crap. What does he have? If he's not bluffing (which I don't think he is), then the best I can hope for is AQ or KQ, where I am a big favourite... if he has KhQh, I'm a little ahead... AhQh, then while I'm ahead he is actually favourite to win... QQ, 55 or 22 and I'm in big trouble! So I figure the best thing to now is check and hope for a K on the turn... well no King and Matey pushes, as expected... after a long, long think, I fold the KK face-up - to the amazement of the whole table - and Matey is kind enough to show his pocket 5's... Phew!!!!

I think this decision was a critical point in the game in more ways than one... obviously if I'd have called and lost 2/3rds of my stack I would really have been up against it, but just as importantly it gave me huge boost of confidence and really helped to keep me awake and focussed for the rest of the day.

So, on to Sunday, I played the $150 PLO hi/lo at Binions, this ended up with a field three times bigger than they were expecting, at 389... my PLO8 really isn't that strong so I was pretty happy with my 74th place, even though it was well off the money.

Today (Monday) I'm going to re-invest $1000 and play in the WSOP Seniors Event... I was very dissapointed after busting out of this event last year, after only 3 hours... so with new found confidence I am going to go over there and whup them old timers good!! :-)

Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

Rich said...

I take it the board was Q25? Great lay down sir.

This seniors thing should be a piece of piss, most of the field die before the money places anyway don't they?